PIER Program Support Unit
The Energy Commission's Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) Program Support Unit (PSU) supports the PIER Program's energy research, development and demonstration (RD&D) planning, agreement development, cost/benefits analyses, technology transfer, and public outreach efforts.
- We coordinate development of the PIER Electric, Natural Gas, and Geothermal budget plans and work plans.
- We identify training needs, develop training modules, and conduct training.
Developing Contracts and Grants
- We assist RD&D program staff with the development of contracts and grants in coordination with the Energy Commission's Contracts Office, Grants Office, and Legal Office.
Sharing RD&D Information
- We write and publish the PIER Annual Report to the California Legislature and the Natural Gas Annual/Budget Report to the California Public Utilities Commission.
- We support the development of project fact sheets and research project final reports, and respond to Legislative, public and media inquiries.
Conducting Cost/Benefit Analyses
- We evaluate the RD&D program economic, environmental and security benefits to California and develop new strategies and action plans for implementing cost/benefit analysis.
- We educate the public on energy RD&D benefits through development of press releases and presentations, and dissemination of information through media, webinars, workshops and focus groups.
- For further information on the Energy Commission's PIER Program Support Unit (PSU), please contact Alan Solomon, Alan.Solomon@energy.ca.gov.