Carlsbad Energy Center Power Project
07-AFC-06 (Application For Certification)
07-AFC-06C (Compliance Proceeding)
Project Status: Licensed; In Compliance Phase
The California Energy Commission approved this project's Application for Certification on May 31, 2012. The Commission monitors the power plant's construction, operation and eventual decommissioning through a compliance proceeding.
Committee overseeing Amendment Proceeding:
Karen Douglas, Commissioner, Presiding Member
Andrew McAllister, Commissioner, Associate Member
Hearing Officer: Paul Kramer
Committee that oversaw Original Licensing Proceeding:
(To be assigned), Commissioner, Presiding Member
Karen Douglas, Commissioner, Associate Member
Hearing Officer: Paul Kramer
- 09/14/2007 - Application for Certification (AFC) filed with California Energy Commission
- 10/31/2007 - Commission accepts Application for Certification (AFC) as complete.
- 12/11/2008 - Commission staff releases Preliminary Staff Analysis.
- 11/12/2009 - Commission staff releases Final Staff Analysis.
- 05/09/2011- Committee releases Presiding Member's Proposed Decision.
- 06/14/2011 - Committee release Presiding Member's Proposed Decision Errata.
- 03/28/2012- Committee releases Revised Presiding Member's Proposed Decision.
- 05/31/2012 - Committee releases Revised Presiding Member's Proposed Decision Errata
- 05/31/2012 - Commission approves Application For Certification.
- 05/02/2014 - Applicant's Petition to Amend Certification.
- 12/17/2014 - Commission staff releases Preliminary Staff Analysis regarding the Amendment.
- 02/17/2015 - Commission staff releases Final Staff Analysis regarding the Amendment.
- 06/09/2015 - Commission staff releases Presiding Memeber's Proposed Decision regarding the Amendment.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT
Carlsbad Energy Center LLC proposes to amend the May 31, 2012 Carlsbad project with a more flexible, fast-start simple-cycle facility located in the city of Carlsbad in San Diego County.
The licensed Carlsbad Energy Center Project (CECP) was a 558-MW gross combined-cycle generating facility. The 632-MW amended CECP would be located at the same, slightly larger northeastern parcel of the 95-acre Encina Power Station (EPS) power plant complex and would involve several phases of demolition and construction over a 64-month period. The amended CECP would provide power generation reliability in the San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) service territory.
Prior to construction of the amended CECP, the project owner seeks permission to demolish three above-ground fuel oil storage tanks (ASTs) to provide space for power plant construction, including AST 4 (which along with ASTs 5, 6 and 7, constitute the EPS eastern tank farm, and would form the 30-acre footprint upon which the amended CECP power plant would be constructed). Demolition of ASTs 1 and 2 would provide necessary parking and laydown areas required during construction of the amended CECP power plant. Following successful commercial operation, the project owner seeks shutdown and decommissioning of the EPS, as well as demolition of all above-ground EPS facilities west of the North County Transit District (NCTD) railroad tracks.
Energy Commission Facility Certification Process
The California Energy Commission is the lead agency (for licensing thermal power plants 50 megawatts and larger) under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and has a certified regulatory program under CEQA. Under its certified program, the Energy Commission is exempt from having to prepare an environmental impact report. Its certified program, however, does require environmental analysis of the project, including an analysis of alternatives and mitigation measures to minimize any significant adverse effect the project may have on the environment.
For Questions About This Siting Case Contact:
Carlsbad Energy Center Project Public Contact:
George Piantka: (760) 710-2156
24-hour Noise Comment Hotline: 1-888-439-6899
For Questions About Participation In Siting Cases Contact:
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-12 Sacramento, CA 95814
Toll-Free in California: 1-800-822-6228
News Media Please Contact:
Media & Public Communications Office
Compliance & Amendment Proceeding
- Submit e-Comment
- Submit e-Filing
- Documents for this Proceeding
- Exhibit List
- Proof of Service List
- Proof of Service Declaration Form MS Word or PDF
- Search Documents in this Proceeding
- Search All Power Plant Documents