Walnut Energy Center -
Turlock Irrigation District
02-AFC-04 (Application For Certification)
02-AFC-4C (Compliance Proceeding)
Project Status: Licensed; In Compliance Phase. Operational: February 28, 2006.
The California Energy Commission approved this project's Application for Certification on February 18, 2004. The Commission monitors the power plant's construction, operation and eventual decommissioning through a compliance proceeding.
Committee that oversaw Original Licensing Proceeding:
James D. Boyd, Commissioner, Presiding Member
Arthur H. Rosenfeld, Ph.D., Commissioner, Associate Member
Hearing Officer: Stanley Valkosky
- November 19, 2002 - Applicant files Application For Certification (AFC).
- December 18, 2002 - Commission finds project to be "data adequate," which begins formal licensing process.
- August 29, 2003 - Commission staff issue their Final Staff Assessment.
- January 15, 2004 - Presiding Member's Proposed Decision released.
- February 18, 2004 - Energy Commission approves project.
- February 28, 2006 - Project goes on line and begins producing commercial power.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT
The Turlock Irrigation District's 250 megawatt Walnut Energy Center project is propsed to be located within the City of Turlock in Stanislaus County.
Energy Commission Facility Certification Process
The California Energy Commission is the lead agency (for licensing thermal power plants 50 megawatts and larger) under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and has a certified regulatory program under CEQA. Under its certified program, the Energy Commission is exempt from having to prepare an environmental impact report. Its certified program, however, does require environmental analysis of the project, including an analysis of alternatives and mitigation measures to minimize any significant adverse effect the project may have on the environment.
For Questions About This Siting Case Contact:
For Questions About Participation In Siting Cases Contact:
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-12 Sacramento, CA 95814
Toll-Free in California: 1-800-822-6228
News Media Please Contact:
Media & Public Communications Office