Appliance Efficiency Compliance
The Appliance Efficiency Program requires that the manufacturers of certain appliances meet state and federal standards for energy and water efficiency. Manufacturers must also certify the performance of their appliances to the Energy Commission to demonstrate compliance with the standards and make this information available to the public.
Modernized Appliance Efficiency Database System (MAEDBS)
All appliances regulated under Title 20 must be certified to the California Energy Commission using MAEDBS. https://cacertappliances.energy.ca.gov/Login.aspx
The Energy Commission will no longer accept appliance certification submittals and applications through email. Manufacturers, test laboratories, and third party certifiers will need an account to perform actions within the database, including submitting data.
Click the following link to find certification packets for each appliance type. Each packet includes the general instructions for submitting data, the appliance-specific instructions for submitting data, and the excel template that must be used if data is submitted via excel spreadsheet.
Instructions for using the appliance search database and company search database:
General instructions for submitting appliance data to MAEDBS:
Questions or Concerns
Questions about MAEDBS can be directed to Appliances@energy.ca.gov or to the Appliances Hotline, toll free at (888) 838-1467 or outside California (916) 651-7100.
Title 20 Compliance Assistance List Serve
Automated Email Notifications
- March 15, 2016, Webinar Presentation - Introduction to MAEDBS
- January 12, 2016, Webinar Presentationon Title 20 Appliance Compliance: Enforcement Program Overview & New Water Efficiency Standards
- December 9, 2015 Webinar on Title 20 Enforcement Overview of Program
- New Water Efficiency Standards Oct 7 2015
- September 2, 2015, Compliance Assistance Tutorial Presentation
- July 21, 2015, Compliance Assistance Tutorial Presentation
- June 30, 2015, Compliance Assistance and Enforcement Tutorial Presentation