Appointed by Governor Brown
1/2011 to 1/2013 (Appointed by Gov. Brown to California Public Utilities Commission)
Carla Peterman was appointed by Governor Jerry Brown in January 2011. She filled the Public Member position on the five-member Commission where four of the five members by law are required to have professional training in specific areas - engineering or physical science, environmental protection, economics, and law. Commissioner Peterman is the lead commissioner on renewable energy and transportation.
Ms. Peterman has conducted research at the University of California Energy Institute at Haas since 2006 and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory from 2008 to 2010. She was an environmental business analyst with community development non-profit Isles from 2004 to 2005 and was an associate focused on energy financing in the investment banking division of Lehman Brothers from 2002 to 2004. Ms. Peterman also served on the board of directors for The Utility Reform Network from 2008-2011, most recently as Board Treasurer.
Ms. Peterman will complete her doctoral studies this year in Energy and Resources at the University of California Berkeley. Her research focuses on solar photovoltaic markets, policy, and financial incentives. She has also worked and written on a wide range of California energy and policy issues including, cap-and-trade, efficacy of local environmental regulations, climate change and communities of color, clean energy subsidies, and energy security. Peterman holds a B.A. in history from Howard University and an M.S. in environmental change and management and an M.B.A. from Oxford University, where she was a Rhodes Scholar.
Articles and Papers
- Maritime industry, California Energy Commission tout electric trucks at San Pedro's Port Tech Expo
(KPCC radio - Sept. 6, 2012) MP3 Audio
- Electric cars are the buzz - Institutional customers are pitched the alternative technology at an event at Burbank's airport
- Tracking the Sun II: The Installed Cost of Photovoltaics in the U.S. from 1998-2008
(PDF file, 50 pgs, 1.4 mb)
- Local Solutions to Global Problems: Climate Change Policies and Regulatory Jurisdiction Review of Environmental Economics 2
(PDF file, 19 pgs, 139 kb)
- Lessons for a cap-and-trade program, Managing Greenhouse Gases in California
(PDF file, 258 pgs, 258 kb)
Publications and Other Materials
- Radio interview on Go Green Radio with host Jill Buck: California Energy Commissioner Peterman discusses the ways California is "greening" the state's transportation sector through the AB 118 Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program on this Voice America radio program.
The program was originally broadcast on November 16, 2012. MP3 Audio