California Energy Commission Letterhead

Notice of Staff Workshop

On the Energy Efficiency and
Conservation Block Grant Program Funding Allocation
from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009


The California Energy Commission staff will conduct workshops in various parts of the state to discuss the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) provisions as they pertain to the disbursement of funds for specific energy related projects. The workshops will focus on the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant Program (Block Grant) including program description and objectives, funding sources, United States Department of Energy (DOE) guidance, application process and timelines for providing input into developing guidelines.

MONDAY, MAY 4, 2009
1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
SOUTH COAST AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT DISTRICT
21865 Copley Dr.
Auditorium
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
(All locations are Wheelchair Accessible)

WEDNESDAY, MAY 6, 2009
1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
UCSF FRESNO CENTER FOR
MEDICAL EDUCATION AND RESEARCH
155 N. Fresno St.
Auditorium
Fresno, CA 93701

THURSDAY, MAY 7, 2009
1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
CALIFORNIA ENERGY COMMISSION
1516 Ninth Street
First Floor, Hearing Room A
Sacramento, California

Please note that you do not need to register or call ahead to attend any of these meetings.


These workshops are intended to inform the various stakeholders, specifically small cities and counties, of the Block Grant program elements and objectives, application processes, and timelines for developing guidelines and opportunities for input. All three workshops will follow the same agenda and address the same issues. Commissioners from the California Energy Commission and the California Public Utilities Commission may be in attendance at the workshops.

The Block Grant funding is designed to provide 68 percent of the funds from the program directly to cities with populations over 35,000 and counties with populations over 200,000. These large cities and counties will apply directly to DOE for funding with an application deadline of June 25, 2009.

The Block Grant program then allocates 28 percent of the total funding to state energy offices. In California, this is the Energy Commission. The remaining funds are disbursed to tribes (two percent of total funding) and for competitive solicitations (two percent). At least 60 percent of the Block Grant fund allocation to the Energy Commission must be distributed through a competitive grant program for cities and counties that are not eligible for direct formula grants from the DOE. The remaining 40 percent is available for various energy efficiency and fossil fuel reduction activities. Additionally, Assembly Bill (AB) 2176 (Cabellero, Chapter 229, Statutes of 2008) provides further direction on the uses and allocation of Block Grant funds.


Documents for Meetings

Documents and presentations for these workshops are available on the meetings page of our recover website at: www.energy.ca.gov/recovery/meetings/


Remote Attendance

May 4 - Diamond Bar

Streaming video and audio - Video and audio from the meeting will be webcast over the Internet by the South Coast Air Quality Management District. You will need Windows Media Player Version 7 or later.

To access their streaming media please go to: www.aqmd.gov/aqmd/webcast/webcast_calendar.htm

If you experience a technical problem during the Webcast, please contact our Help Desk at (909) 396-2440.

To phone-in and listen to this workshop, please call toll free 1-800 700-7784. At the prompt enter the pass code: 999224. Please only use this number if you are unable to access a computer for streaming audio and video.


May 6 - Fresno

How to Access the May 6 at 1 p.m. WebEx Meeting

REGISTRATION

  1. To register for this event, go to https://energy.webex.com/energy/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=926722171
  2. Click the "Register" button at the bottom of the page.
  3. Provide your information as requested.
  4. You will receive a confirmation e-mail message that contains the details to join the event.

JOIN THE LIVE WEBINAR ON MAY 6 AT 1 P.M.

COMPUTER LOGON

Follow the instructions in your confirmation e-mail to join the meeting a few minutes early.

TELEPHONE ONLY (No Computer Access)

If you cannot join the meeting via computer, you can listen to the audio via phone by calling toll free 1-866-469-3239 and entering the Meeting Number 926 722 171 followed by the # key. When asked for your Attendee ID number, please press the # key. You will then be entered into the call of the meeting on a muted line.


May 7 - Sacramento

How to Access the May 7 at 1 p.m. WebEx Meeting

REGISTRATION

  1. To register for this event, go to https://energy.webex.com/energy/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=922573534
  2. Click the "Register" button at the bottom of the page.
  3. Provide your information as requested.
  4. You will receive a confirmation e-mail message that contains the details to join the event.

JOIN THE LIVE WEBINAR ON MAY 7 AT 1 P.M.

COMPUTER LOGON

Follow the instructions in your confirmation e-mail to join the meeting a few minutes early.

TELEPHONE ONLY (No Computer Access)

If you cannot join the meeting via computer, you can listen to the audio via phone by calling toll free 1-866-469-3239 and entering the Meeting Number 922 573 534 followed by the # key. When asked for your Attendee ID number, please press the # key. You will then be entered into the call of the meeting on a muted line.


Where possible, webcast audiences will be able to submit questions on areas of interest during the meetings to be addressed by workshop participants via e-mail at [eecbg@energy.state.ca.us].


Purpose

These workshops will examine the intent, DOE guidance, funding, scope of program areas and the disbursement of funds allocated to the State of California through the various provisions of the ARRA related to the Block Grant funds.

The workshops will present a preliminary timeline for developing guidelines on how to best identify program activities and project areas to be funded through the 60 percent city and county allocation and also explore options for the remaining 40 percent allocated to the Energy Commission for broader energy related activities.

Additionally, the Energy Commission staff will present and explain the following criteria for prioritizing projects applying for Block Grant funding: 1) effectiveness in stimulating and creating or retaining green jobs in California; 2) achieve lasting and measureable energy benefits consistent with the "Loading Order" priority of energy efficiency systems; 3) expend money efficiently, with accountability and minimal administrative burden; 4) contribute to meeting California's energy policy goals as defined by the Energy Commission's Integrated Energy Policy Report, California Air Resources Board's AB 32 Scoping Plan and other relevant policy documents; and, 5) leverage other federal, state, local and private financing to sustain the economy.

A detailed agenda will be provided in advance of all workshops.

Background

The ARRA will provide nationally $787 billion in economic investment. The goals of ARRA are to jump start the economy and create jobs for Americans.

The Energy Commission is administering two programs, the State Energy Program for approximately $226 million and the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant Program for approximately $49.6 million. A third program, the Energy Efficient Appliance Rebate Program estimated at approximately $30 million will be announced by DOE at a later time.

In addition, there is more than $37 billion available nationwide that the United States Department of Energy (DOE) will administer through competitive grants and other financing for energy and climate change related programs. The Energy Commission will work with other state agencies, utilities, and other public and private entities to identify ways to leverage these funds for California projects.

Please note that other workshops will focus on guidelines and funding criteria for the State Energy Program (SEP) and the Energy Efficient Appliance Rebate Program. This workshop will focus specifically on Block Grant funds for cities and counties. If you have not yet signed up for the Energy Commission's list server on the recovery program please do so at [www.energy.ca.gov/recovery].

Written Comments

The Energy Commission encourages comments by e-mail. Please include your name or organization's name in the name of the file. Those submitting comments by electronic mail should provide them in either Microsoft Word format or as a Portable Document (PDF) to [eecbg@energy.state.ca.us].

Written comments on the workshop topics may be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on April 27, 2009. Comments on paper should be hand delivered or mailed to:

California Energy Commission
Special Projects Office, MS-23
Re: Energy Block Grant Workshop
1516 Ninth Street
Sacramento, CA 95814-5512

Public Participation

The Energy Commission's Public Adviser's Office provides the public assistance in participating in Energy Commission activities. If you want information on how to participate in this forum, please contact the Public Adviser's Office at (916) 654-4489 or toll free at (800) 822-6228, by FAX at (916) 654-4493, or by e-mail at [PublicAdviser@energy.state.ca.us]. If you have a disability and require assistance to participate, please contact Lou Quiroz at (916) 654-5146 at least five days in advance.

Please direct all news media inquiries to the Media and Public Communications Office at (916) 654-4989, or by e-mail at [mediaoffice@energy.state.ca.us].



Mail Lists: Recovery List Server

Note: California Energy Commission's formal name is State Energy Resources Conservation and Development Commission.