Research Focus Areas
Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) Transportation research is planned using research roadmaps. A research roadmap is prepared at the topic level and includes a broad literature review, identification of institutions conducting relevant research, and evaluation of other ongoing research. Generally, PIER Transportation Research Roadmaps:
- Engage stakeholders, including federal, state and local governments, as well as industry and other non-governmental organizations.
- Identify gaps in ongoing research relative to selected issues.
- Facilitate collaborations with other research institutions, state agencies, and utilities.
- Define short-, mid-, and long-term goals, timeframes, budgets, and activities.
- Balance timeframes, risk, and provide the greatest public benefit.
PIER Transportation Research Roadmaps
- Vehicle Technologies
Natural Gas Vehicles
The California Energy Commission's Natural Gas Vehicle Research Roadmap identifies initiatives and projects that research, develop, demonstrate, and deploy advanced fuel-efficient natural gas powered transportation technologies and fuel-switching strategies that result in a cost-effective reduction of on-road and off-road petroleum fuel use in the short- and long-term. Specific research topics include Engine Development and Vehicle Integration, Fueling Infrastructure and Storage, and Technical and Strategic Studies.
Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles
Vehicle Technologies research roadmaps are currently being developed.
- Alternative Fuels
Alternative Fuels Research
Alternative Fuels research roadmaps are currently being developed.
- Transportation Systems
Transportation Systems research roadmaps are currently being developed.